Saturday, November 10, 2012

Time to Quilt

(Shown on the bird print backing I've chosen)
It's finally time to start quilting my L O N G term project....medallion quilt.  (See full view here)

Over the years I have tried a variety of things....wooden hoops - both circles and ovals; both large and small.

I've tried the PVC type standing rectangular frame.






I guess I thought that hand quilting with a frame was the way it should be done but after trying all these methods what I really preferred was pin basting and then working in my lap without a hoop. I've done that for years now.




Then I heard someone raving about the standing hoop and mentioned to a friend that maybe I should give it a try.

I'm always open to new ideas and to rethinking how I do things. Maybe the even tension provided by a hoop would result in nicer stitches.

Well, she just happened to have one in her attic that she said I could borrow!



I had  my medallion quilt basted by a friend who does long-arm quilting. She did a straight grid about 5" apart in both directions.

I am so thrilled to have escaped the huge job of pin basting such a large quilt and dealing with the pins when using a hoop is a major hassle.



So, I'm going to give it a try. I'll keep you posted!



Hand quilters....what is your favorite method?
How did you arrive at that choice?





9 comments:

  1. I quilt on that very same hoop. I can't get even stitches without the tension--and I tried the PVC frame--didn't care for it. I've had my hoop for about 15 years. I don't hand quilt very much, but when I do, that is my preferred method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer a lap hoop. My preferred seating doesn't go with a floor stand. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. For small quilts (baby and smaller) I use a round hoop. For bed size quilts I have a home made frame made with 2" X 2" lumber with small cross boards held together with "C" clamps. Then I set it between the twin beds in my son's room (he's gone from home - so it can stay up full time!) I, too, prefer having the tension. Tell us how you like this frame!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim Latimer raves about the standing hoop. His blog talks a lot about hand quilting. Let me know if you need the URL. Very much worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to quilt in a hoop on my lap. Have tried frames and can't quite get the same stitch rhythm going. Plus I'm not so good at quilting in any direction. The hoop I can turn to match my preferred direction. I like the wooden hoop, but also use the Q-Snap lap version like the one in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the floor hoop for larger quilts. The weight it too much for lap quilting (though I do have to use a different chair/seat than I normally use!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. I've followed Tim's blog for a long time. Maybe that's even where I got the idea...his video of how he hand quilts. He does get so much done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Yankee Quilter....the sheer bulk of a large quilt can really be an issue with quilting in your lap. I forgot to mention that but I know it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jean - For me it depends on the size of the quilt. I have a large one in the floor frame - no basting needed. I do the outline quilting then take it off and use a hoop...only because I find the seating with a hoop more comfortable. Small quilts - no hoop or frame.
    Love your project!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding your comments!