Monday, August 3, 2015

Mariner's Compass - DONE!

Drum Roll, please!
 This is it! The 5th and last entry on this 'long-term' project, first shared with you in 2011. I've put links below if you want the full background before reading the finale!

You may recall that I purchased the packet of reproduction fabrics, c. 1840, in 2007. They sat in lovely stacks for a few years before being put to use!

I made a concerted effort to stick with the hand quilting over the winter and that made a big difference. I set a goal to have it done this year; to use it on my bed this fall.  Or else!

I had decided early on that I would put my name on the front of the quilt. The two outermost bottom corner 6" blocks are plain with that in mind.
Deciding how I wanted to do that took some time but I'm happy that I didn't rush it. I wanted it to be just the right thing.

I knew I wanted to repeat the circle of the central Mariner's Compass and small blue circles in the corners of the checkerboard, seen in the view above.

                       I found this design in Antique Quilting Designs by Roberta Benvin.

It was used as the center quilting motif in a feathered wreath on the plain setting blocks of a c. 1840 Double Nine Patch quilt; a circle and the required four places defined to embroider my information. 
 That fit well with the date of the reproduction fabric I used as well as the frame style layout.


I enlarged the design and slipped it under the corner over a light box to trace.

I combined embroidery with complimentary quilting.  I used double strand blue thread for the chain-stitched circle and to outline leaf shapes.

 The data itself required using a single thread.

The label on the back contains a few more details but the basics are on the front for all to see. I don't want someone have to 'discover' it by accident in 100 years....or  worse yet, NOT discover it!

At last I was ready for the  final step. Binding.

I had run out of the mottled neutral background which probably would have been my choice if I'd had enough so I'd been carrying around a piece to get a good coordinating tone. I wanted the binding to be understated letting the sharp triangle 'pennants' stand out.

I found a large print that had the right 'tone' and I thought it would work when folded 'skinny' and be interesting. I made yards and yards of it, starting sewing it on and didn't like it.

 Rip. Rip. Rip.

I didn't want to get stuck this close to the end! Luckily, a fabric that came with the original fabric line worked and I had enough of it.

The last few stitches - Had to record them!



Size:86" W x 94" L
Hours to hand quilt: 140
Batt: wool
Original Design

I hope you are all well and enjoying your quilting adventures. I have been AWOL from writing this blog for some time and hope to be much more regular now. I have acquired quite a few new 'old' quilts I'd like to share with you and have finished lots of smaller projects, too.

 Please check back and send your comments to keep me honest.



  1. Hooray! Great finish! Looking forward to seeing you in 2 weeks.

  2. WOW! Your quilt is beautiful! It is beautifully displayed on your bed. So smart of you to label. Now I am motivated to complete some of my projects

  3. Wonderful! I think the corner turned out great. A good balance - just the right amount of color.

  4. It is a beautiful quilt--and a great corner treatment! : )

  5. Beautiful!! A big "well done!"

  6. Beautiful - job well done. There are a lot of decisions to be made putting a medallion quilt together. I especially like the backing fabric too!

  7. A beautiful finish. You can be very proud of this quilt.


Thanks for adding your comments!