Friday, September 28, 2012

Beanie Baby Fun

Owl
I was recently invited to appraise and lecture at the Willow River Piecemakers quilt guild in New Richmond, Wisconsin. During the break they began to share quilts from a special challenge they were doing.
One of the members had a collection of Beanie Babies that she decided she needed to get rid of. She brought them to the guild meeting and each person drew one and then made a coordinating crib quilt for it.

Here are a few of them.

As you can see, they went to some trouble to match the particular Beanie Baby they drew to appropriate fabric.

( Click to enlarge for better detail)

Monkey
Deer











I'm afraid I don't know their official names


Kitten
Dog
Hippo?
Bear

Bunny

They will all be on display at their quilt show in New Richmond at the Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College this Saturday and Sunday (September 29th and 30th) They will  then be donated to a local hospital children's ward.

I will be there on the 29th doing appraisals. If you are in the area I hope you'll stop by.

Well, you guessed it! I made up my mind to make some of these and immediately began looking for Beanie Babies! - within the next week I found several new Beanie Babies at a garage sale and at a week-end flea market for $.25 and $.50 each!.

Here's my little menagerie:

I think the puppy is an imposter but they accept him!

I have some cowboy prints for the horsey and some African prints for the giraffe. Until I get around to starting they will keep each other company on one of my little quilts.

And here's a link to another of their innovative charity projects; making storybook quilts to go with particular children's books.

2 comments:

  1. What a clever idea! I love those quilts with cuddly companions. My grandson has been in a children's hospital a few times and the things people to do for the kids always means a lot! Good for you to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! And imagine... the whole concept prompted a shopping spree for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding your comments!