Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Won-derful One Patches - A Quilt Show

All of these quilts are from my collection and are made with just one template shape. From simple to complex, I enjoy seeing what can be achieved within that limitation. I've included some close-ups as well as the full quilt because I love studying the fabrics. You can click any image for an even closer look.
Vintage first........

Squares - Random                                                      1890-1920        5.5" squares



The fabric band across the top is sometimes called a 'whisker guard'. It's been tacked over those top few rows to project the quilt from getting soiled or abraded with beards and body oils. It can be easily removed for washing. I think it's a great idea. I often see it on vintage wool quilts which were not washed. It would also keep the scratchy wool from your face.


I won it at the AQSG silent auction in Minnesota last fall; a donation from the Sally Garoutte collection.


Though very plain and utilitarian in design, it has many really interesting fabrics! It is  unused and unwashed. I think it has a wool batting. 










These papers were pinned to the back.  It appears that Sally (or someone) got it in Flint, MI in 1973 for $15. I thought I got a great deal on the price but I did pay more than that!









Squares - Random
67" x 82"  
I know I've shown this one before but it IS a one patch. Squares are sewn in 4-patch units
                                                                               c. 1950  Fun Fabrics!



















Squares -Trip Around the World 
c. 1945
67" x 84"                                                                        More Fun Fabrics!!



Hexagons  - Billions and billions of hexagons! I didn't realize I had so many examples!
         
Grandmother's Flower Garden                        
c. 1930  
72" x 86"                    
Hexagons measure1/2" on a side

















Random Hexagons 
c. 1885
75" x 88"






Almost a charm quilt - only two duplicates found to date; a brown print  (that took over a year to find! ) and one and a half 'cheddar' solids.





More and more hexagons ....

Fancy Hexagons
Velvets, velveteens, satins and silks.


This unfinished fragment was done in the English paper pieced style still has the papers in place on the outer edges. You can see the basting








Crib and Doll Examples


Grandmother's Flower Garden Crib Quilt
34" x 42"


This somewhat atypical arrangement of colors creates stars (squint) but only hexagons are used.

I  don't see too many of this popular Depression era style in crib size.





Simple Squares
22" square
c. 1950
Tied



This little quilt is reversible. It's been used and loved. It has no batting.













Squares - Checkerboard
Hand quilted
c. 1940
34" x 42"


The combination of a two color quilt in a simple checkerboard arrangement is always effective. Quilters today don't use plain solids like they did years ago but I like them.

Add even very basic quilting and you have a classic.







Triangles



Doll Quilt
10" x 14"
c. 1980










Dolly Quilt
15" x 22"

I use this as a cover for my sewing machine. It's a perfect size.








And a few that I've made:
Applecore
47" x 63"
I used fabrics from an internet swap of 5" squares. There are lots of plaids and checks but I thought the addition of calico prints made it more interesting.



Trip Around the World 
50" x 66"

 Made for a long time friend who loved to travel but was unable to do so - she was battling cancer. 

Triangles
29" square




 I used a packet of squares from a quilt shop promotion for this one patch. I saw an project in a magazine where you cut the squares diagonally and make two identical piles and then arranged them to make two quilts. I thought it would be fun to see how different the results can be using exactly the same triangles. Well, it really would be fun to see - maybe someday I'll get the other one done!



In Progress:

 This is another doll size quilt - I'm auditioning borders now. The squares are 1" finished. I love using the little leftovers.

It was inspired by a quilt I saw ...somewhere!
Do you have tons of photos of quilts you want to make?



Here's one of the bulletin boards in my sewing room.

Oh - I almost forgot the very first quilt I ever made!!!

Another Trip Around the World; this time in rainbow colors for my first born son, the one wrapped up in it! We had limited fabric choices for quilting in1976. Solids are poly blends and of course a poly batting. It's tied at the intersections. And here are my two little darlings enjoying it! That's what it's all about!!

The Tumbler quilt in my last post started all this. There are many more shapes used than I have in my collection.
How many one-patch quilts are in your collection?


8 comments:

  1. First, I have to admit I don't have much of a "collection".
    When I first learned to quilt my Mom suggested I start with a "one-patch" and I recall wondering what that meant. But ever since then they have held a soft spot in my quilting heart.
    I enjoyed seeing all of these quilts--what a variety. It is amazing what you can do just varying color and value of the same shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to see all these quilts and I love the variations that can come from a different layout and fabric but with the same simple shape. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One simple shape, yet compex and beautiful designs. Love your quilt show! What one patches do I have? Let me think...I have a Tumbler (charm quilt I made), a Bricks (vintage quilt of postcard-size rectangles), and a Boston Commons (pastel crib-size quilt). I'd love to make a 1,000 Pyramid qult sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great quilts! Love looking at the fabrics too.
    Not sure how many one patches I have I'll ponder that with coffee this morning ;-)
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great collection you have! It is amazing how many different designs are made with a single shape!! I don't have many in my collection but you inspire me to add some more
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for commenting - I realized I have at least one more when someone mentioned 'bricks'. I just brought home a wool bricks quilt made of salesmen samples from our cabin. Our study group is doing wool quilts this month. I'll do a quick post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy your post so much. Something new to think about. One Patch. I am sure I have a few, it will be fun to look for them.
    You and I think so a like. What am I working on 16-patches with 30's fabric. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this post Jean. I especially loved your doll quilts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding your comments!