Monday, April 29, 2019

Birds & Baskets. . . and lots of berries!


43" square
 My quilt photographed on black background


About two years ago, maybe three,  I visited the Wagon West Quilt shop in Wickenburg, AZ, owned by long-time friend Martha Walker.  
Her beautiful original designs are inspired by 19th century projects.

I liked one of the samples on the wall. Big ol’ baskets, simple one piece birds, big pointy star shapes. Easy, right?
 (How did I not notice the 1” berries. . . And those amoeba shaped blobs with finger-like protrusions all around? 











So I bought the book and got started. There are four quilt patterns and three wool projects included.



















I selected fabrics from my stash for everything except the stripe for the border triangles (which I think worked really well.) 




I made the templates and did needle-turn applique. 



I soon discovered that it wasn’t as simple as it first appeared, but I did get pretty good at round berries.

I looked at this close up photo and noticed I missed a quilting line!
Do you see it?



After all that handwork I decided it should be hand quilted. I outlined all the appliques then decided on a hanging diamond overall. That took more time but I think the result was worth it. From start to finish it was just under two years but I never work on just one project at a time. 


                                Here it is hanging on the wall in my entrance hall.






If you’re ever in the Phoenix area, take a drive up to Wickenburg. It’s a great western town with wonderful restaurants, a nice historical center, a cowboy museum and….the Wagon West Quilt Shop. 
Well worth the drive.



And don't forget to stop by the Prison Tree. From 1863 to 1890 prisoners were chained to this tree because they didn't have a 'hoosegow'. Escapes were unknown.  The wild wild west!
Luckily, I  was unshackled but my friend . . . 



2 comments:

  1. I don't do applique (not that I haven't tried), so I am very impressed with whatever anyone else accomplishes in that art form. This turned out beautifully, and love how it looks hanging in your entryway.
    Good to see you are a law-abiding citizen and they didn't have to chain you up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your applique quilt. It looks fabulous in the entryway. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding your comments!