Saturday, November 3, 2018

"Bricks" Series Celebration

13" x 17"
At last!

It's been a long time but . . .done is done. Here is the ninth and final quilt made from the pieces of a c. 1900 Bricks top I took apart in 2011. If you've been following my blog you've seen the posts of the previous eight quilts interspersed over the years. I challenged myself to see how many small quilts I could get out of that original top.

I've been wanting to wrap this project up for some time but I just kept putting other things first.

The motivation I needed came when I was invited to share this project with the Minnesota Quilt Guild at their November meeting. Carolyn, a member of Minnesota Quilt Project (MQP), the group that documents quilts and sponsors a meeting each year, saw my blog and contacted me.


Nothing like a deadline, I always say. Newly motivated, I dumped out the scant supply of remaining scraps which included some little units leftover from #7. ( the improve piece you can see again if you click here.)


By the time I got #9, this little strippy, done, I was very limited in size and color but I was able to eek out a pieced back by using some white shirting fabric from my stash of vintage yardage.

the back




I put a label on all my quilts...sometimes I write directly on the quilt if a label would be intrusive. Here's what I did on the back of this one.

I've really had fun with this project. I learned a lot along the way by trying different things ie. edge treatments, methods of construction, different battings, different ways to join the layers and the confidence to just create something I like without a pattern or instructions.
Here's a look at how I displayed them for the lecture:


And one more look at the original top:

Maybe you would enjoy working with vintage textiles to create something uniquely your own. Working in small scale allows you to get them done more quickly than large pieces though I may not be a good example. This project spanned seven years but I counted over forty other quilts in all sizes that I made during those same years.  I like to keep lots of plates spinning!

Thanks for checking in. I'd sort of like to hit 100 followers so if you are not 'official' I'd love it if you'd join my blog. I am sporadic but have good intentions (does that count?)
If you sign up for email reminders you'll get a notice when I post a new entry.

Happy Quilting!

3 comments:

  1. I love the display of all the little quilts you made from the vintage textiles.
    I have leftover pieces from an old top that needed a redo, but the fabrics are so fragile, and don't look all that great. Don't think it would be worth the time to work with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice- I'm a big fan of mixing vintage bits into projects. Well done! I'm already a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article..I am looking so forward to your blogcomment and
    I love your page on your post.. That is so pretty..
    หนังดราม่า

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding your comments!