Monday, April 2, 2018

Lone Star Project - Just What I Need

59" x 66"
left side points already removed!

Well, I've done it again. I was out on a "Search and Rescue" mission with my gal pals recently. This sweet Lone Star quilt caught my eye.  I turned it every which way but I didn't see a price.
"Would you like me to bring that up front for you?" said the nice man trolling the antique store. They do that to make it easier for you to continue to shop as you accumulate interesting objects that you don't really need. (and deter shop-lifting, I'm sure)

(So you know I bought it or I wouldn't have the picture or be attempting to justify the purchase.)








The full shot doesn't reflect the colors well. Here's a close up for a better idea.

overall pastel feel c. 1920

There was quite a bit of damage on all four sides. I told him I wasn't at all sure I wanted it, but he said it would need to be priced in any case. He said he'd try to reach the seller and have it up front.

When I returned to the front desk they had a price on it. $20. How could I not?



Trusty Clover Ripper




That very evening out came my ripper . . .

This photo is an attempt to show all four edges up close prior to ripping. You can barely see the pink binding at the right edge.


The binding on two ends, one pink, one green, is frayed and worn through. The other two sides are finished with points which were once pink. They were not made with the easy Prairie Point method of today. Instead they are individual triangles, sewn and turned.
 The sizes vary greatly and they've faded in varying degrees, some completely white, from their original pink, probably indicating which side of the bed was closest to the window.
frayed binding



A few days later I had removed all the points and binding.




I love that this quilt is machine quilted. Women used the machine to quilt their quilts as soon as machines became available. Women took pride in owning a machine and wanted to show it off. I've seen examples from the late 1800's are even done in contrasting thread perhaps to be sure it is noticed.

wavy grid edge to edge

 This one is done in a wavy grid. Lack of precision indicates hand guided which I find so much more interesting that the precise, automated look of some "perfect" long-arm examples of today.

I originally thought I would just trim up the edges and re-bind, maybe with a vintage tiny pink check in my stash. But it does look cute with points...doesn't it? I may reconsider. Points on just two sides makes it 'different' -  a bit more fun I think.

Do you wonder why she did that? The extra time it took? Wanting the sides to be featured. Why did she use different colored binding? Did she really not have enough? Or did she want to indicate top and bottom and rotate for even wear? Perhaps she was just a creative spirit.

Why do I love studying and rescuing old quilts almost more than making new quilts with new fabric? I just do!

Please leave a comment (I need to know you're out there) and check back soon to see how I decide to finish the edges. Also, I'll be updating you on my Brick series project with #8 very soon.

8 comments:

  1. Doesn't your heart just pitty pat when you see sweet old quilts like this one? Will be watching to see the progress. It was a "must-buy" at that price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to 'see' you again, Nancy. Glad you agree on this purchase! I am a sucker for this time period and the repair will be easy. thanks for your comments and for checking back once in a while!

      Delete
  2. Great to see your work and story again. I haven't seen anything for a long time.
    Carol E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you haven't abandoned me....I am not very reliable or predictable with my blogs in spite of my determination to improve! I promise to do better. thanks for checking in.

      Delete
  3. Oh boy! I wouldn't have touched that with a 10 ft pole! LOL I'm not into rescuing but glad others are. I have a hard enough time finishing my own projects!! I think I'd avoid the points at all cost and just get the binding on (but then, I wouldn't have started to begin with! HA).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know! It doesn't mean I don't also have tones of my own projects that get shoved to the back of the line, or at least postponed. Thanks for reading my blog and being patient with my irregularity.

      Delete
  4. Jean,
    I found an older post of yours re: embroidered vintage state quilt blocks. I recently purchased an ALMOST complete set (minus one or two states). If I told you which ones, could you direct me or sell me the pics/pattern for those states- for me to finish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. that post has recieved more comments and requests than any other! I just Googled "vintage state quilt blocks" and a lot of pictures pop up. I saw Hawaii, Tennessee, New Mexico and more. Try that. There are a few versions of the blocks, some with birds, some with flowers, and some states changed the motif. Rose Werner is a good source also. Search for quiltkitid Sounds like you have some research to do but you will find what you need. Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding your comments!