Friday, March 14, 2014

Doll Quilts Finished

#3 Triangles
15" x 19.5"
I've finished two more little quilts. They are the 3rd and 4th in my 'series' of doll quilts being made from a vintage 'Bricks' top (shown below). Both are hand quilted.

#4 Four Patch
16" x 17.5"

I use only vintage fabrics from this top in creating the doll sized tops. I use other vintage fabric from my collection for backing and binding when I have it. The claret binding on the triangles is vintage but I used a period shirting reproduction for the binding on the 4 Patch. (both thanks to the generosity of AZ pal, Lynn)

poor construction - not 'quiltable' as is

If you've been reading my blog you will be familiar with this project but since it gets to be a long time between posts here again are the first two in the Bricks Series:

#1 Tumbler
#2 Bricks
Homage to the original top!



















I love to study old quilts and note the different ways things are done so I consciously use a variety of techniques in my doll quilts just for fun. 
ie: 
#1 is a charm quilt - each shape a different fabric - and is hand pieced.
#2 I brought the backing to the front to finish the edge, a finish seen on many old quilts but not common today. 

Numerous past blogs give more details on each quilt -You can use the Search box or drop down of each month to read those.

I'm planning Log Cabin and Rail Fence for #'s 5 and 6. 


Next: "Hand" quilt update

5 comments:

  1. Love these little quilts, Jean!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun, Jean! You're getting a lot of mileage from that quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bricks quilt lives on in such charming little quilts! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little quilts. What a wonderful idea. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. More sweet little quilts from the bricks top. I too think small quilts are a fabulous way to explore techniques. How nice to have Lynn to share with. I bet you have very good times in the studio.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding your comments!